Friday, July 17, 2009

Thing # 11: Library Thing

I made an account in Library Thing. This is such a useful site. I have bought a ton of books and videos from half.com, in e-bay. And many people who sell on there sell you a book only to later let you know they don't have it but didn't realize they had sold it. Those people REALLY need to use this site. That would end this problem of theirs.

I added my 5 books. One had 35 other people listed as also having that book in their library. Amazing. It was the only one, however. Then I went and tried to look for members with books on my topic. I found several. But, they didn't really have as many books as I have on the subject, so I didn't think I'd learn so much by talking to them. It was interesting to see that others like to discuss my topic, though. I may come back and see if they have anything interesting they are discussing.

As a librarian, I think this might help discuss children's books. I know in my classes here, we often discussed the award winners and whether or not they were worthy of being included in the library at our school, despite their award status. So, I could put that book in my books here, and then look for members who also had the book. We could discuss what we all thought of it, and if we thought it belonged in a school library, for example. That sounds very useful.

I looked through many of the postings and found many interesting postings. I would definitely want to join some of those discussions when I have some time. People wanted to find good reading material on their style of reading- like urban fiction, for example. Others wanted to recall the author of a book or the title. You just never know what you will find on the topics of discussions in there.

Definitely what I enjoyed the most is finding others who had posted comments about the topic I am interested in. It is hard to find people in day to day life that one has similar reading interests with. So, this really makes it so easy. And it is so much fun to discuss books one has read in the are of interest , or by a particular favorite author. I hope to come back and talk to people on here. I am sure I will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment