Friday, July 17, 2009

Thing # 12: Creating Community Through Commenting

This one took a while. I enjoyed it, though. I answered a question I've had for a while. I'll go into it later on here. One of the points I liked from the blog posting recommendations is to let others find one's best work- by mentioning how to get to it outside the blog. I agree with that. People are part of blogs to learn and grow. If they like what you say and want to learn or read more, you have a responsibility to tell them how to get to that information. It is all right, according to the article on Library2Play, to be shameless about promoting another blog of yours. Or a Web site, etc. I agree. If I get curious about what someone says, I would feel frustrated if I couldn't go read more about it.

The other point I liked was about using a new post to reply to a comment instead of a comment. Sometimes, it requires a new post to respond to a comment. Some replies are kind of long. If one already knows the things one needs to discuss are lengthy, it is better to just post a new comment in response to the comment. The commentor would appreciate it, I think.

I posted comments to 5 people in our class' blogs. They were all so different. It was fun to see all the differences. And one person had to approve my comment before it was posted. Unfortunately, I posted it 3 times before I realized that her blog was set up to "approve" a comment before it was posted. That was funny. All the other 4 people let me post without approval.

The first blog outside Library2Play that I posted to was Houston Press Blogs' Houston Vegans Come Out of Hiding. I loved this because the article was about a bake off here in Houston. I have always wanted to talk to and get to know other Vegans here in Houston. But, I didn't know how to do it. I will definitely be following some of these Vegan blogs to see what I can do and where I can go to meet some Houston Vegans. Posting was SO easy. I just hit "comment" to reply to the article and all of a sudden I had posted a comment.

The second blog was on My Fit Blog. I used Google Blog search to find both this and the above blog to post to. The article I posted a comment to was "Eating Raw Vegetarian Diet in Houston". I don't eat a raw vegetarian diet, but I eat some raw foods and I am a vegetarian. It was interesting to read how others are also of the opinion that raw foods are important to eat. I posted a comment by again hitting "comment" and posting it. And it was that easy. I loved it. It is addictive, and I want to come back later and join some groups where you have to give personal information- but I need more time to select which ones I want to join.

2 comments:

  1. Be sure you look at some of the otehr players outside of your class...there is a lot of learning going on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. VWB,
    I definitely did that. I think it definitely helped give me an idea of what things were supposed to look like for some of the things. It is always nice to have an example.

    ReplyDelete