Friday, July 17, 2009

Thing # 9: Library-Related Blogs and News Feeds

Well, this one took a little while. I checked out several blogs and news feeds. The first was Syndic8.com. It had some reviews of blogs. I looked at some of them. I also looked at the pointers. I found many on the economy. If I had more free time right now, I would have read some of those more in depth. I also found some really strange ones, like one about how to pick a dress for a special occasion (?) and one that basically sold hair extensions that were easy to comb and to braid. Very interesting. Just what I'd need if I were going to a debutant ball and needed some hair extensions to make my do look fuller.

The second site I looked at was Topix.net. Right away, I found something that was interesting. It was an article listed as you got to the site "recent news" or something like that-it mentioned that a sex offender was arrested just 2 days ago in Friendswood, which many view as so safe. It described that he was at a traffic stop by police and they discovered there was a warrant for his arrest because he'd disappeared from where he used to live and had not registered here in Friendswood. He was living with his brother and had not registered.

The articles in this site were arranged by topic, so each topic had articles linked to it from the LA Times or NY Times and other papers. One tab one could click on was "Top Stories", another was "Popular". Those were the most interesting ones to me. Under "Popular" there was a story on Sara Palin and why she resigned. I wanted to read that, but I had to keep going.

I also looked at Suprglu. I will go back to that one. It had a lot of articles relating to libraries. I need to go back to it when I have more time to look through some of the information. It looked very worthwhile, though.

The last site I looked at was Technorati. I watched the video by Hans. He said I should subscribe, but I think I'll hold off on that. I think I'd rather hand pick my own blogs to feed to. I found one I really liked on their list for Health and Fitness. It had lots of interesting information. I also found one that I thought was kind of strange. It was about a mom who trained for marathons. I guess she has pointers for other working moms who want to do that also.

No comments:

Post a Comment